Ever wondered, if you as an engineering manager will be able to take an extended period of time off & come back to a team which has continued to be high functioning and productive?
As more and more companies offer longer than before parental leaves or sabbaticals, we as engineering managers are faced with the grappling question of - how will my team fare when I am gone? Will all hell break loose? Will things remain about the same?
In this talk I will share the things you can do to ensure success for your team while you are away. I had the privilege of taking 6 months of parental leave and when I came back, I was pleasantly surprised to see things functioning great, with the team having made great strides towards our annual goals & KPIs. Not only that, ICs had grown themselves in different skill sets, each of them assuming different roles and responsibilities while I was away, helping them move up in various competencies.
This talk will broadly cover:
- What all should your handover document cover
- How to assign ICs on your team various roles and responsibilities while you are away
- How to build an efficient roadmap with your product partner ensure long term success for the team
- How to find someone on your team who can step into your role when it comes to making important engineering decisions
- How to continue to promote aspects of culture which you have created to ensure everyone feels motivated and excited about working in the team